If you’re doing a Dry January this year, you might hit your first big test this weekend. To keep you motivated to stay the course, here are five good things that happen to your body when you give up alcohol for a month…
1. You might decrease your risk of cardiovascular disease. When you drink to excess, the way alcohol is metabolized can produce free radicals and increase your bad cholesterol. And THAT can lead to clogged arteries.
2. It might reduce your risk of cancer. According to a government report, there are links between alcohol consumption and the development of several types of cancer, including liver, esophageal, breast, and colorectal cancer.
3. You might lose weight. It’s not just the alcohol’s calories you’ll be cutting out, it’s also the sugar from things like mixed drinks.
4. You may sleep better. Studies have found that when “normal drinkers” stopped drinking for a month, they slept better and found it easier to concentrate.
5. You could feel happier. Alcohol is a depressant, so it can cause people to feel negative mental side effects. Giving it up for a month might make you feel happier overall.