The Best Minor League Baseball Team Names
Naming a professional sport’s team is serious business. Unless you’re talking about minor league baseball, that is. The monikers that these teams get tagged with often reflect a characteristic, animal or product of the region they’re in, but they also administer a healthy dose of humor. The Manistee News Advocate lists their Top 10 favorites.
- Florence Y’alls (Florence, Kentucky) — no mascot, just the inclusive “y’all”
- Gastonia Honey Hunters (Gastonia, North Carolina) — an aggressive badger
- Binghamton Rumble Ponies (Binghamton, New York) — a fire-breathing carousel pony
- Norwich Sea Unicorns (Norwich, Connecticut) — a narwhal
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (Jacksonville, Florida) — yummy jumbo shrimp
- Hartford Yard Goats (Hartford, Connecticut) — a yard goat is a tractor that moves trains around the trainyard, except this guy is just a goat
- Amarillo Sod Poodles (Amarillo, Texas) — a prairie dog
- Rocket City Trash Pandas (Madison, Alabama) — a racoon
- Burlington Sock Puppet (Burlington, North Carolina) — yep, an actual sock puppet
- Carolina Disco Turkeys (Winston-Salem, North Carolina) — a turkey in a white disco suit
My personal favorite used to be the Sugarland Skeeters…but they’re now the Sugarland Space Cowboys. Which is also a pretty solid name. The Montgomery Biscuits is also an honorable mention.